Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I climbed the Mount Kinabalu

This plan was initiate by yours truly last year, after I got a boost of influence and motivation from a dear friend whom had climbed that year and after I have lay my eyes on the beautiful mountain during my holiday in the Borneo Island.

Without wasting anymore time, my friends and I started to gather friends of friends whom have at least little dream of climbing Mt Kinabalu. 

There were 12 of us. 

But as time passed by, one by one drew off from the team due to personal and work commitment. And until there were 7 of us, we started to get the dates confirm by paying the deposit to SSL (Sutera Sanctuary Lodges) and until only 6 of us left. Not long 2 of us drew off from the team and the last 4 were standing, trying to make this dream a reality. 

Alhamdulillah, we managed to climb till the summit. 
I couldn't believe myself. Initially I plan to climb up until where I could, at least the lower ground of summit. But God has given me strength and determination. My fellow friends also giving me moral support. We took the summit at 8am, the last 3 three standing for the Laban Rata batch that morning. 

SubhanAllah, MasyaAllah, that were the only words I could utter when I stood up there, next to the signage. The view was magnificent. Couldn't believe I stood above the clouds, at 4095.2 meters above sea level. It was beautiful. Beautiful. 

For me, getting there to the summit was an achievement I thought I would not achieve. Never underestimate your capability guys. But of course, I walked one step a time. My dear pal Aten even got the hardest time when we started the summit climb. My hardest time was from Timpohon gate to Laban Rata. Everyone were trying to cope with the weather and situation I guess. 

Along the way from Timpohon gate to the summit, you can see the trees are all different compare to what we usually see here around us. 

Just a few tips if you are planning to climb up Mount Kinabalu:
1. Make early reservation / plan with SSL (confirm reliable) at least 1 year early

2. Buy all your winter clothing after Christmas which is around January-March because most winter outlets throw sales during that time. Check out Uniqlo Winter inner clothing too. They have the heat tech collection which really really work. I bought one fleece hect tech top and wore it to the summit. It keeps me warm all the time. The heat tech socks, pants, top, etc really works. Trust me. 

3. Please buy very good shoe for the climb. Shoe that really grip. There was this Chinese girl who had to turn back to Laban Rata when she couldn't climb the 90degree rock. So, if you have extra money, you can invest in a nice branded shoe. But if you're not, do like me, wait till it's sale time and buy the shoe. I bought my Columbia Hiking show at RM110 only. It was on 70% sale. MAGNIFICANTO!  (if you planned this early, you will have enough time to wait for sale. seriously.)

4. If not you can always borrow the stuff from your hiker friends. I'm sure you have at least one hiker friends. I borrowed parka, bagpack, gloves, extra climbing shoe from my friend. I would have just worn her shoe thought, but because the shoe was worn, I didn't want to risk my climb. So I bought the Columbia hiking shoe.

5. When you have started your summit climb from Laban Rata (about 2/3am), make sure you pass through the Sayap Sayap Checkpoint before 5am. They will not allow you to continue the climb if you reach the gate after 5/5:30am. The Sayap Sayap Checkpoint is about 1km from Laban Rata. After you have reached the checkpoint, then you can take as much time as you want to climb till the summit. 
-seriously, my team was the last team to arrive at the summit...and don''t worry if it happen...because....

6. It's better if you arrive late at the summit as you have PLENTY of time for pictures/selfies/videos and you can enjoy the view up there right beside the signage. You can eat/ rest/ etc there without having to worry about other people whom want to take photographs there. hahaa....that's the best thing of all. You are not competing with anyone, it's all about you. How far you want to go, how fast you want to go, how do you want to do it. Don't compete, it's not a race, it's about reaching up to the summit, if your conditions allow you. It's about your own goal.

So, enjoy the photos here. (I'll upload once I transfer the photos inside my new external harddish hehe )
I still couldn't believe I got up there. The summit of Mount Kinabalu. Low's Peak. 
Alhamdulillah.
Click on the picture for full size view

























luv,
Harim




No comments: